This is a 1:1 replica of The Holy Lance, Spear of Destiny, Lance of Longinus, Spear of Christ, Vienna Lance (Hofburg spear) Version. The original Spear was the spear that Pierced Christ's side. It also contains a nail from Christ's cross. It has been seen in several movies & TV shows, such as Indiana Jones, Hell Boy, Witchblade & Constantine. It has been owned from a Roman Soldier to a list that includes Roman Emporers, Charlemange, Henry the IV, Hitler & more. This Spear is solid Resin and modeled after the original that is in the Hofsburg museum in Austria.
This amazing piece is made out of solid Resin and weighs over 4 pounds (2 Kilograms). It is 18 inches (45.52 centimeters) long x 4 inches (10.16 centimeters) wide at the wings of the base x 2 inches (5.08 centimeters) in diameter at the base where the shaft is. The spear has a smooth Bronze look to it with silver type wires wrapping around the Nail and holding the shaft part in place. There is Gold wire wrapping in a cross fashion at points just as appear on original relic.The middle has a gold covering that is 6 inches (15.24 centimeters) long. This covering has gold nailheads along each side just as the original has. In the middle, lengthwise, beveled on both sides are the words "The Lance and Nail of our Lord" in original Roman type Latin, Just as the original spear has. At the base is a shaft for a pike to be placed if you so wish.
The Spear of Destiny also comes complete with the booklet "The Spear of Destiny." This booklet explains the history of all the Spears of Destiny and also provides multiple newspaper articles from history on the subject and full color pictures of the two known Spears of Destiny.
This Spear is part of a Limited Numbered Edition.
The Case and Spear of Antioch, as shown, does not come with this item but are available as a option in pull down menu. The case is made out of High Quality .25 inch Acrylic. It measues; 19.5 inches Long x 5 inches Wide x 3.5 inches high. It is a must to Display either Spear in.
History of Hofsburg Spear:
The Holy Roman Emperors had a lance of their own, attested from the time of Otto I (912-973). In 1000 Otto III gave Boleslaw I of Poland a replica of the Lance at the Congress of Gniezno. In 1084 Henry IV had a silver band with the inscription "Nail of Our Lord" added to it. This was based on the belief that this was the lance of Constantine the Great which enshrined a nail used for the Crucifixion. In 1273 it was first used in the coronation ceremony. Around 1350 Charles IV had a golden sleeve put over the silver one, inscribed "Lancea et clavus Domini" (Lance and nail of the Lord). In 1424 Sigismund had a collection of relics, including the lance, moved from his capital in Prague to his birth place, Nuremberg, and decreed them to be kept there forever. This collection was called the Reichskleinodien or Imperial Regalia.
When the French Revolutionary army approached Nuremberg in the spring of 1796 the city councilors decided to remove the Reichskleinodien to Vienna for safe keeping. The collection was entrusted to one "Baron von Hugel", who promised to return the objects as soon as peace had been restored and the safety of the collection assured. However, the Holy Roman Empire was disbanded in 1806 and the Reichskleinodien remained in the keeping of the Habsburgs. When the city councilors asked for the Reichskleinodien back, they were refused. As part of the imperial regalia it was kept in the Imperial Treasury Schatzkammer (Vienna) and was known as the lance of Saint Maurice.
During the Anschluss, when Austria was annexed to Germany, the Reichskleinodien were returned to Nuremberg and afterwards hidden. They were found by invading U.S. troops and returned to Austria by American General George S. Patton after World War II.
Dr. Robert Feather, an English metallurgist and technical engineering writer, tested the lance for a documentary in January 2003. He was given unprecedented permission not only to examine the lance in a laboratory environment, but was also allowed to remove the delicate bands of gold and silver that hold it together. In the opinion of Feather and other academic experts, the likeliest date of the spearhead is the 7th century A.D. - only slightly earlier than the Museum's own estimate. However, Dr. Feather also stated in the same documentary that an iron pin - long claimed to be a nail from the crucifixion, hammered into the blade and set off by tiny brass crosses - is "consistent" in length and shape with a 1st century A.D. Roman nail. According to Paul the Deacon, the Lombard royal line bore the name of the Gungingi, which Karl Hauck and Stefano Gasparri maintain identified them with the name of Odin's lance, Gungnir (a sign that they probably claimed descent from Odin, as did most of the Germanic royal lines) Paul the Deacon also notes that the inauguration rite of a Lombard king consisted essentially of his grasping of a sacred/royal lance. Milan, which had been the capital of the Western Roman Empire in the time of Constantine, was also the capital of the Lombard kings Perctarit and his son Cunipert, who became Catholic Christians in the 7th century. Thus it seems possible that the iron point of the Lombardic royal lance might have been recast in the 7th century in order to enshrine one of the 1st century Roman nails that St. Helena was reputed to have found at Calvary and brought to Milan, thus giving a new Christian sacred aura to the old pagan royal lance. If Charlemagne's inauguration as the King of the Lombards in 774 had likewise included his grasping of this now-Christianized sacred or royal lance, this would explain how it would have eventually become the oldest item in the German imperial regalia. We might also note that the Iron Crown of Lombardy (dated to the 8th century), which eventually became the primary symbol of Lombardic kingship, takes its name from the tradition that it also contains one of the holy nails. Alternately, since Gregory of Tours in his Libri Historiarum VII, 33, states that in 585 the Merovingian king Guntram designated his nephew Childebert II his heir by handing him his lance, it is possible that a royal lance was also a symbol of kingship among the Merovingian kings and that a nail from Calvary was in the 7th century incorporated into this royal lance and thus eventually would have come into the German imperial regalia.